Debrief: Voltas A/C: Sack this Mr Murthy!

09 May,2013

By Anil Thakraney

An extremely boring campaign from Voltas for their aircons. They’ve created this brand mascot called Mr Murthy. He’s been around for some time now. In each ad, the chap talks into camera making a pitch for Voltas. I’ll be very frank out here: I have no bloody idea what the man says, and I am not even interested. And no, that’s not because I am not looking to buy an air conditioner.

The reason is simple: Pathetic, intolerable advertising. It’s all very well to appoint a brand ambassador (and to Voltas’s credit, at least they didn’t sign up the maha tired Shri Amitabh Bachchan). But you have to make sure that the individual is appealing, happening, charming, funny, adorable, memorable… am sure you know the criteria. He can’t be a man who has zero charisma, zero humour (and yet tries to be funny) and zero personality. This ad is bound to crash; as David Ogilvy said a long time ago, no one buys from boring people. And if this isn’t sad enough, Voltas has made this big bore belt out a brand window too! Grr.

I have two reflex reactions each time Murthy comes on air (which is way too often): One, to smash the TV set. Two, to grab the remote control. Thankfully, the Sindhi in me makes me opt for the latter. 🙂

Rating: (On a scale of 1-5): 0. Dunno if the A/C cools, but the ad leaves me heated up.

Anil Thakraney is a senior journalist and commentator. He is also Editor-at-Large, MxMIndia. The views of the writer are his own.

13 responses to “Debrief: Voltas A/C: Sack this Mr Murthy!”

1. ravi kanyj says:

This sindhi guy anil is out of senses posting such a down to earth add by voltas.i really do not understand whether he is biased with mr.murthy or voltas. It’s a very personal allegation and he better refrains from doing so,being in a resposible position. Get well soon mr.anil. If required will send mr.murthy with voltas air conditioner to cool your absurd and strained brain:)

2. jay says:

who care wht u think.. we love teh ad.. go n sleep

3. VINOD GOPAL says:

Hi, Mr. Murthy’s original name is D.V.Vivek, He is from Chennai.

4. Murali says:

” Thankfully, the Sindhi in me makes me opt for the latter ” ….Mr. Anil Thakraney … is the Sindhi in you makes to hate this add????? I pity you……..I enjoy the ad and his dialogue delivery & down to earth nature…………..

5. Cooler says:

One of the best TVC’s to come out in 2013. Murthy and Voltas ROCKS!!!

6. Pranay Raj Chawla says:

Hi,
    Today I bumped into this page looking for the Actor who is playing Murthy, just because I liked his acting and wanted to know more about him.
    I am surprised to read the Mr. Anil’s Comment & thankfully its was his alone on this page as well as all the pages I have visited so far.
    I sincerely request you to review the AD, with an unbiased mind and you might change your view. Believe me I am Sindhi as well.

7. Vignesh says:

Quite baffled to note this statement Anil “….but you have to make sure that the individual is appealing, happening, charming, funny, adorable, memorable… am sure you know the criteria”. In an age where obsolescence is the very hallmark of progress, these stereotypes do not hold good. Pls evolve….

8. Soubhik says:

Hi

What comes as a pleasant surprise is that you remember all aspects of the TVC, and yet find it boring 🙂

In my view, and I guess we concur here, that the Voltas TVC is the amongst the few in AC category that has moved away from the usual Brand Ambassador approach of using a celeb as a placeholder in communication and believing that the world is waiting with bated breath to
    watch it I believe Voltas has devised an interesting format of taking a simple, relatable character in whose life the AC plays an important role as he has a transferable
    job and the Voltas All Weather AC helps him adapt to the different climatic challenges which sometimes become much larger

This Mr. Murthy (as people fondly remember him) may not be appealing, happening, charming, funny, adorable,
    memorable to you, but that can’t be held against him .

He is seen as a grounded and simple man with a pleasant personality. I can confidently say, that he has played a role in making Voltas the No.1 AC brand because people relate to his real worries and his real solutions. To the fact, that he derives pleasures from the little things in life. The AC to this Mr. Murthy is an important thought through decision he took to have simple pleasures of life; like having his wife smile at him or prepare his favourite food i.e. Sambar rice

As for your reflex action, I guess that is why all TVs come with a remote so we have the freedom to choose
    what we want to see. Happy Viewing. Thanks

9. p2 says:

i totally disagree, its nice to see Mr. Murthy and ad is really well down i think, and i feel he is representative , what all we face in life, slice of life kind…. and wanting to see more of Mr. Murthy … GOOD job soho square.. agency which made the ad

10. p2 says:

11. Harit Nagpal says:

Sorry to disagree but i always found Murthy very sincere & endearing! Maybe so because someone has finally relied on a mortal human for a brand ambassador instead of a Star Star!

12. ramesh says:

I am not qualified “Creative type” to comment.However I think the communication seems to be working for the brand and is reflecting in the sales too(Last year it was number 1 and this year too it should be from what one gets to read in the biz papers).Why not buy an Voltas AC and be cool like Murthy!

Today's Top Stories