Radio Mango in 4th anniv mode, to consolidate in Kerala for Phase III

24 Nov,2011


By A Correspondent

 

Radio Mango, an FM radio venture by Malayala Manorama, a Malayalam daily, aims to consolidate its position in Kerala once FM Phase III is officially rolled out. It is however not known which cities the FM station would bid for as they are currently awaiting clarity on the phase III. “We would definitely look to consolidate our position in Kerala. We are still unclear about the reserve price calculations and await clarity before finalising our phase III plans,” said Ravindran Nair, Director Programmes, Radio Mango.

 

He further said, “We are confident of growth in 2012 since we have been steady since the last 4 years. The key factor in the quantum of growth, of course, would be phase III.”

In Kerala Radio Mango is aired in Kochi, Trissur, Kozhikode and Kannur. Red FM and Club FM are its main competitors in these cities besides the All India Radio (AIR) FM stations. On November 29, 2011 Radio Mango will celebrate its fourth anniversary however the FM station seems to be in no mood for big celebrations.

Radio Mango claims that its national and local advertising ratio is almost 50:50. Some of its national advertisers are Maruti, Hero Motors, Nokia, Blackberry, Max Bupa, Kenwood, Airtel, Docomo, Belkin, Ford, Hyundai, Sharp, and Philips etc. Nearly 80 per cent of songs aired on Radio Mango is Malayalam film songs and the rest 20 per cent from non-Malayalam music ie Hindi and Tamil songs. Besides its on-air activities, Radio Mango is quite active online too. It has over 5,700 likes on its Facebook page and nearly 300 followers on Twitter.

 

In conversation with Ravindran Nair, Director Programmes, Radio Mango.

 

Q: Since November 29, 2007 when Radio Mango first went on air, until the year 2011 how has the journey been for Radio Mango? 
Radio Mango has had a great period of sustained growth since launch. We have been consistently No.1 in the state and have been figuring in the top 20 nationally in terms of reach. In IRS Q2, Radio Mango is 16th nationally, in terms of reach (11th if AIR stations are excluded). In terms of reach within a state, Radio Mango ranks 5th nationally! Radio Mango has grown by 45 percent in Yesterday’s listenership over the last one year. Within Kerala, Radio Mango leads the no 2 station by 81 percent in terms of reach. (All figures are from IRS Q2 2011).

 

We have won several national and international awards including New York Festival silver and bronzes, Wow Experiential Marketing Award golds, ERA golds etc. In fact, we are the only radio station in India to have won Mirchi Kaan Award golds for two years running.  We also figure in the Limca Book of Records for our musical reality show ground event.
Q: How do you plan to celebrate Radio Mango’s fourth anniversary?
We don’t look at months and years as landmarks. We would rather have our achievements be the milestones. Hence, all our anniversaries are private internal affairs and we don’t tom-tom in public.
Q: Can you throw some light on your phase III plans? Will the FM station expand in cities/ towns of Kerala or will the expansion be beyond Kerala i.e. other parts of India?
We would definitely look to consolidate our position in Kerala. We are still unclear about the reserve price calculations and await clarity before finalizing our phase III plans.

 

Q: How has the response from advertisers been? What is the national-local advertising ratio?

The response from the advertisers has been good so far. The national and local advertising ratio is almost 50:50. Some of the national advertisers are Maruti, Hero Motors, Nokia, Blackberry, Max Bupa, Kenwood, telecom majors like Airtel, Docomo, Belkin, Ford, Hyundai, Sharp, and Philips etc.

 

Q: For 2012 what are your growth targets? How will you sum up 2011 for Radio Mango? 
We are confident of growth in 2012 since we have been steady since the last four years. The key factor in the quantum of growth, of course, would be phase III. 2011 has been a great year and we are very pleased with our overall performance. The Radio Mango brand has never been more robust and recognised.

 

Q: Who is your creative and media agency?
Our creative and media agency is Stark Communications.

Post a Comment 

Comments are closed.

Today's Top Stories
Videos