By Lloyd Mathias
1. IPL is much more than cricket
· it’s a multimedia entertainment spectacle
· it offers a mix of cricket, business and glamour ensuring continuous action on and off the field
2. Strong audience delivery & engagement
· it’s the single biggest media property promising unmatched reach and delivery;
· it offers primetime viewership with a higher Socio Economic audience skew
· it has impact on other media as witnessed by the dip in viewership of other GECs and fewer movie releases
· what we have is 7 weeks of nonstop action in an other wise lull period for business
3. Great property to build brand connect… linked to one’s brand proposition
· It offers consumer-led on-ground promotions
· You get Corporate boxes, trade incentives
· There is an opportunity in the form of team merchandize
· One can leverage IPL on social media
4. IPL’s power has been is its ability to survive unscathed despite the controversies… In fact controversies have worked to its advantage.
· Like the sacking of Lalit Modi
· Or the movement to South Africa in year 2
· And the Sahara stand-off last year
· And of course the termination of 2 franchisees – Kochi & Hyderabad & the subsequent refranchise of Hyderabad
5. India biggest passions all under one roof:
· Cricket (yup it’s still cricket) and some remarkable talent discovery has happened through IPL – where did you first hear of Valthaty; Asnodkar; Bisla – not at the Ranji Trophy surely?
· Glamour (Bollywood stars; business czars & other glitterati)
· Controversy (scandals; brawls on & off the field)
Lloyd Mathias is Founder-Director, GreenBean Ventures. He was formerly CMO of Motorola and Tata Teleservices.